15 Places to visit in Himachal Pradesh
Himachal Pradesh is a state situated in the northern part of India. Capital of Himachal Pradesh is Shimla and during winter season Dharamshala.
Himachal Pradesh predominantly is a mountain region and famous for its beautiful views. Tourism is one of the most important factors of the Himachal Pradesh economy.
Every year this state witnesses a huge amount of tourists because of its great scenic beauty and amazing landscape. Its pleasant and amazing weather is best for visit in summers for holidays.
This state includes great temples, rivers, lakes, mountains and many more beautiful places to visit. Himachal Pradesh is an epitome for holidays and tourism. Its glaring scenes attract huge populations every year.
Places to visit in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla is the capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh and also the largest city of the state. Firstly it was the capital of Punjab after independence, later became the capital of Himachal Pradesh after its separation from the state of Punjab.
It is primarily known for the cultural, commercial and educational centers in Shimla, basically, temperature ranges from -4 c to 31 c across the whole year.
Key places to visit in Shimla:-
- The ridge:- One of the most famous places to visit in Shimla, known for its beauty. It is situated on the mall road, at the soul of Shimla. This place is well recognized for shopping. A large population of tourists usually get lost in the beauty of this place.
- Kufri:- Situated approx 10 km away from the main city of Shimla visiting there is worth because of its amazing views, temples, and many more things. Sightseeing is preferable there because of its great location.
- Tattapani:- Located around 60 km away from the main city of Shimla. It is situated on the banks of river Sutlej. It is popularly known for its hot sulfur spring which is believed to have a curative property for stress, fatigue, skin diseases and so on.
- Kalka Shimla toy train:- This train offers one of the most fascinating train rides throughout the location from Kalka to Shimla and visa versa. One who visits Shimla must try this for a great experiment in one’s life.
- Shimla Christ Church:- This place is situated at mall road only. This church is the second ancient in India and the oldest church known in north India. It has a neo-gothic style of architecture and an amazing interior.
- Ice skating in Shimla:- One of the most fascinating places in Shimla. this skating rink in Shimla is natural also largest. It is the only naturally formed arena in south Asia.
Best time to visit Shimla:-
The best time period to visit Shimla will be from March to June when its summer there. One who wants to experience snowfall is advisable to go there in winters from November to February.
How to reach Shimla:-
The closest railways station from Shimla is in Kalka which is about 89 km away from Kalka, you can take private cabs, taxi, bus or even toy train to reach there.
Manali is a town in the state of Himachal Pradesh located near Kullu valley. It is predominantly famous among Indian and foreign tourists and is one of the most favorite places to visit in India. The beauty of Manali is greatly admired by us all.
Key places to visit in Manali:-
- Solong Valley:- Solong Valley is one of the most famous tourist destinations in Manali among all. This valley is located between two very famous destinations namely the Beas Kund and the Solong Village. The Solong village is also known as snow point. One can take part in various activities that this place can offer.
- Rohtang pass:- This place comes in the way which connects Manali to Himachal Pradesh other cities. These places have a very beautiful view all through the year and seem like a grand snow desert.
- paragliding in Manali:- The hillside town is known for paragliding only in Manali. This place is approx 2050 meters above sea levels. A great adventure place for tourists. This place is picture-perfect as well as ideal for paragliding. Taking part in paragliding at Manali is trustworthy also in terms of security.
- Hidimba temple:- Hidimba temple is located a little bit away from the main town of Manali, providing a calm and peaceful place. throughout its surrounding deodar trees are present covering all sides. This place is named after Hidimba who was the wife of Bhim, one of the five Pandavas in the Indian epic mythology of Mahabharat.
Best time to visit Manali:-
For enjoying the blissful snow in Manali, one should visit this place from December to February. Avoid going to Manali from July to August due to landslides and land blockages.
How to reach Manali:-
The nearest railway station and airport are about 50 km from Manali, they are in Joginder Nagar and Bhuntar respectively. One can prefer buses and private cabs also.
Mcleodganj is a town present in Kangra district in Himachal Pradesh. this town is also known as “Dhasa” or “little Lhasa” Tibetans’ population is high in number here, therefore, Tibetan government headquarter is also situated in Mcleodganj. This place includes many Buddhist and Tibetan sites.
Key places to visit in Mcleodganj:-
- Bhagsu falls:- Beauty of this place usually attracts a great number of tourists every year. This place is very peaceful and calm. the greenery of this place is really admirable.
- Namgyal monastery:- Namgyal Monastery is situated inside the Tsunglagkhang complex over the mountain ranges of Dhauladhar. This place is a proud home for Dalai lama’s residence. This complex has many shrines, temples, souvenirs, shops, and bookstores as well.
- Trivnd:- This is located approx 9 km away from Mcleodganj. Trivnd is a popular trek, present at a great height. This place gives a great mesmerizing glance of moon peak – Indra pass.
- Bhagsunag temple:- Bhagsunag temple is situated at a height of 1770 m above the sea level. Beautifully surrounded by gardens and pools all over. This temple attracts a huge mass of devotes as well.
Best time to visit Mcleodganj:-
To witness a pleasant summer one should visit this place from March to June. For winter, the best time is from October to February.
How to reach Mcleodganj:-
Mcleodganj is located close to Punjab and Himachal Pradesh border. One can prefer buses and cabs to reach there.
Know More About: place to visit near delhi within 200 km
Dalhousie town is situated over high altitude, spread over across 5 mountains on Dhanladhar range of mountains. This town is located on the north side of Himachal Pradesh this town includes many beautiful and ancient structures. A huge population of tourists visits this place every year.
Key places to visit in Dalhousie:-
- Khajjiar:- Khajjiar is a small town, very close to Dalhousie. this place is also known as “Mini Switzerland” or as “Switzerland of India”.
- Satdhara Falls:- Satdhara falls is a very popular place among tourists’ beautiful places for sightseeing. Located at an altitude of 2036 m above sea levels. The water in these springs contains mica also known as ‘Gandhak’ by the local population. Medically mica has many curative properties. This place is known for its pleasant and calm beauty.
- Panch pula:- Panch pulla name means five bridges. waterfalls in this place make it perfect for a picnic. It is located around 2 km away from Dalhousie.
- kaltop khajjiar sanctuary:- Kaltop is a wildlife sanctuary. it includes a huge variety of flora and fauna. It has variety like the leopard, dear, langur, jackal, barking goral, Himalayan black marten and infinite birds.
Best time to visit Dalhousie:-
This place has a perfect climate condition for a visit throughout the year.
How to reach Dalhousie:-
The closest airport and railway station is approx 80 km away in Pathankot.
This place is a cold desert mountain valley. Spiti valley is situated approx northeastern part of Himachal Pradesh at hight in the Himalayas. The religion follows by most of the local population is Vajrayana Buddhism. This place is one of the most peaceful places in Himachal Pradesh and in the entire world.
Key places to visit in Spiti Valley:-
- Chandra Taal lake:- Chandra Tal lake named after its crescent shape. The popularity of this lake is because of its adventurous view and photogenic views.
- Key monastery:- This beautifully constructed monastery is among the largest and ancient monastery in Spiti valley. This is a popular destination among tourists. This place has a great collection of ancient books and murals.
- Konzum pass:- Situated on a high mountain located over the Konzum range. This place has a great photogenic view and fragrance in the air. This place forms a bridge between Kullu and Lahaul valley along with Spiti valley.
- Pin valley national park:- This river is semi-frozen. The pin valley national park includes rare species of snow leopard and its prey, the ibex.
- Baralacha la:- Baralacha la is also know as Baralacha pass. Baralacha la pass form a connection between Ladakh and Lahaul. It looks like three valleys that connect at 16,000 feet above sea level.
Best time to visit Spiti valley:-
For a pleasant visit in summer, one should go there in between March to June.
How to reach Spiti valley:-
Buses, taxi or even private cabs are the most preferable means to reach there.
Also Read: Bathroom Accessories
Kasol is a town in the Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh. Kasol is near the Parvati valley between Bhuntar and Manikaran. Kasol is known as mini Israel of India because of the huge mass of Israeli tourists visit here. Kasol is known for its beauty. A very famous music festival is celebrated there every year for which people gather from all over the world.
Key places to visit in Kasol:-
- Kheerganga Trek:- Kheerganga trek is placed on extreme end of Parvati valley. A worthy place for trekking as the area is too beautiful and relaxing in nature. It has a hot water spring beside a small temple of lord shiva. Trekking here is full of thrill and adventure, many paths are difficult and dangerous too.
- Tosh:- Serene road with hippie culture and glaring sceneries, all together make tosh. This is an ongoing village between trekking paths. a gurudwara known as Maanikran sahib is approx 20 min away.
- Parvati river:- A wonderful place for those who are in search of peace and calm, ideally known for relaxing. River rafting is also a great option for some adventure in life.
Best time to visit Kasol:-
The best time to visit Kasol is from October to June. one who loves winter can witness strolling in chilly from October to February.
How to reach Kasol:-
Because Kasol is located on heights, it is only well connected through roads, so one can prefer bus as well as private taxis for the same.
Know More: Hair Dryers For under 1500
Dharamshala is a city nearby the Kangra district. the administrative headquarters of Kangra is also situated there. Dharamshala is under the selected 100 cities by prime minister Narendra Modi’s mission of smart cities. Dharamshala is also the second capital of Himachal Pradesh.
Key places to visit in Dharamshala:-
- Library of Tibetan works and archives:- This place includes manuscripts and artifacts of the ancient period of approx 12th century. Known for pioneer institute for studying and research of Buddhism library has 600 artifacts and 80,000 manuscripts.
- Dharamshala cricket stadium:- The location of the stadium is nearby the beautiful Himalayan mountain range. The stadium is situated 1,457 m above the sea level. The stadium is greatly built with its eternal grassy look and lush field all over.
- St. John in the wilderness church:- St. John church is a neo-gothic church established in 1852. One of the beautiful and important churches in Himachal Pradesh. The church was built in the honor of John the Baptist.
Best time to visit Dharamshala:-
Dharamshala has beautiful weather all over the year but to enjoy summer one should visit Dharamshala from February to June.
How to reach Dharamshala:-
The closest airport is about 15 km away from Dharamshala in Kangra valley. One can take a taxi or buses as per choice.
Tirthan Valley is the most important and main entrance to the great Himalayan national park. This valley is only famous because of this national park as without this many remain unrecognized. The name of this place is driven by the Tirthan river which flows through this place. People who are seeking peace can have a great holiday here. This place also includes villages of the Himalayan region.
Key places to visit in Tirthan Valley:-
- River Crossing:- An adventure sport for people who are seeking a great adrenaline rush in the Tirthan valley. With its icy cold spray and turbulent force surely lead people to a great height of adventure.
- Trekking in the great Himalayan national park:- Blooming flowers and huge green forests are the meanwhile the beauty of the great Himalayan national park. Trekking here is a blessing for trek lovers.
- Serloskar lake:- Sirloskar lake is situated in Jalori pass about 5 km from the village. The clear water and leaves on the surface are the beauty of the place.
- Jibhi:- Jibhi is a beautiful waterfall surrounded by lush green forests with a variety of trees. People who are searching for peace can have a visit here.
Best time to visit Tirthan valley:-
The best time to spend the holidays here is from March to June.
How to reach Tirthan valley:-
The best way to reach the Tirthan valley is roadways.
Read More: Home Exercise Equipments
Khajjiar is a town in Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh, nearby Dalhousie. The whole hill station is surrounding by meadows and forests. This town is also known as ‘Mini Switzerland’.
Key places to visit in Khajjiar:-
- Khajjiar lake:- Khajjiar lake is located around 1,920 m above the sea level . it includes great green scenery with evergreen trees around it along all the sides. the lake is shrinking and may get extinct in upcoming years.
- Kalatop wildlife sanctuary:- The Kalatop wildlife sanctuary includes a huge variety of trees and animals or flora and fauna. The sanctuary has langur, jackal, Himalayan black martin barking goral, deer, bear, leopard, and numerous birds variety.
- Golden Devi Temple:- This beautiful temple of golden Devi has located nearby Khajjiar lake only. It includes lush greenery.
Best time to visit Khajjiar:-
The most preferable weather to visit Khajjiar is from March to July. In order to enjoy snowfall, one should visit this place from December to February.
How to reach Khajjiar:-
The best convenient way to reach is by buses or private taxis.
Kasauli is a town situated in the Solan district in Himachal Pradesh. The town was established by British raj in 1842 as an important railway junction of north India. The place is rich in birdlife and home to colonial-era houses, green-roofed Christ church, and orchards.
Key places to visit Kasauli:-
- Timber trail:- Kasauli is a hill station with a number of colonial charms. Kasauli is usually enclosed by mixed forests of oak, wildflowers, and pine.
- Monkey point:- Monkey’s point is situated at the highest peak in the town of Kasauli. The place gives the whole view of Chandigarh and Sutlej river flowing in the region through the valley. From there only one can also witness the covered peak of Choor Chandni from snow which is the highest peak of the lower Himalayan belt. A temple is also there in honor of lord hanuman. The name of the place is also associated with this lord hanuman temple.
- Mall Road:- Mall Road is the best option for one’s who wants to eat out and do some shopping. Many great varieties of local beauties also provide flattering options for shopping.
- Sunset point and loner’s lane:- A very quiet and calm spot for those who want to enjoy the sunset great for walking and spending time in peace.
Best time to visit Kasauli:-
You can visit Kasauli throughout the year because of its pleasant weather.
How to reach Kasauli:-
Bus or private taxis are the best convenient way to reach there. One can opt roadways from Chandigarh also as it is 65 km away only.
Kinnaur is a district in Himachal Pradesh and also an administrative one. Kinnaur has a mountain peak named Kinnaur Kailash. Kinnaur has three high mountain ranges which are Zanskar, Himalayas, Sutlej and Spiti, baspa and its tributaries. Mainly this place is famous for the Kailash, a mountain sacred to Hindus and this place is also located close to Tibetan borders.
Key places to visit in Kinnaur:-
- Reckon Peo:- Reckon Peo is a beautiful place that is also known for god’s land as it contains beautiful natural views and also it is believed that this is the place where gods will certainly dwell at. This place possesses apple orchards, enclosed with the stately deodars and fresh scent of pine trees make this place so adorable.
- Kalpa:- Kalpa, is a village of Kinnaur which is famous for its most admirable views. This place includes the number of temples and monasteries.
Best time to visit Kinnaur:-
The entire year is although suitable for a visit to Kinnaur.
How to reach Kinnaur:-
The best way to reach there is by the buses which run from Delhi and Chandigarh on a daily bases.
Bir billing is a village in Himachal Pradesh situated in the nest of Joginder Nagar valley. Bir billing is famous ecotourism, spiritual studies, and meditation. Bir is known for Tibetan refugee settlements and huge stupa. This place has many Buddhist monasteries.
Key places to visit in Bir Billing:-
- Paragliding in Bir Billing:- Bir billing is very famous and known as the paragliding capital of India. People who are adventurous and fun-seekers can enjoy it there.
- Hand gliding:- Hand gliding is also another adventure sport that attracts adventure seekers.
- Bir billing road:- In the middle of Bir billing village there is a vibrant cultural place for shopping. Many beautiful ancient and hand made craft is available here.
- Bir billing tea factory:- Bir billing town is beautifully surrounded by tea gardens and plantations. This gives the tourists an insight into the tea manufacturing process.
Best time to visit Bir billing:-
All throughout the year is best to visit this place. one can choose summers and springs to enjoy the most.
How to reach Bir billing:-
The bus is the most convenient way to reach there.
Kufri is a small town in Shimla district around 22 km from the main district. The name of the town is derived from the word kufr which means lake in their local language. The Himalayan wildlife zoo is also situated in Kufri which includes species of animals such as rare antelopes, birds, Himalayan monal and felines.
Key places to visit in Kufri:-
- Kufri fun world:- Kufri fun world is situated at 2800 m above sea level. It is also one of the highest amusement parks in the world right now. The location of this amusement park makes it the most beautiful amusement park in the world.
- skiing in Kufri:- Kufri is famous for its ski slopes and adorable views. Such beauty of this place attracts a huge mass of tourists throughout the year from all over the world. Peaks covered with snow and a small zoo close to this area work as a cherry on the cake.
- Great Himalayan national park:- This park is one of India’s national parks which is situated in Himachal Pradesh. This great Himalayan national park is enclosed by all three sides from the Himalayan mountains, home for many wildlife species. This park has 375 species of animals in which 31 species of mammals and 181 species of birds. The number of deodar and oak trees makes this park more attractive to tourists.
- Yak rides:- One thing which makes Kufri unique is its yak rides. Tourists can experience yak rides here which gives them more adventure as well as fun. Through the ride, you can also view many gorgeous and glaring landscapes.
The best time to visit Kufri:-
From April to June is the best time to visit Kufri as there will be summers so one can enjoy the weather completely.
How to reach Kufri:-
The best way to reach there is roadways.
Chamba is a district in Himachal Pradesh. this place is located along the banks of the Ravi river. According to history, this place was ruled by the maru dynasty in the 2nd-century bc. This place is famous for many temples and places. The most notable two Jatras (fairs) held every year named “Sushi Mata Mela” and “Minjar Mela” there. Popular for its arts and craft especially Pahari paintings.
Key places to visit in Chamba:-
- Chamera Lake:- The glaring beauty of this place attracts a huge number of tourists here throughout the year from all over the world, one can’t get enough of the beauty. The dam on the river adds on the value to this view.
- Manimahesh Lake:- This lake is basically abode to lord shiva according to Hindu mythology. This lake is also known as dal lake. Manimahesh lake is located over the Pir Panjal Range of the Himalayas.
- Lakshmi Narayan Temple:- Lakshmi Narayan temple is one of the largest and oldest temples in Chamba, constructed in the shape of a shikhara. the beautiful architecture of the temple and marble all over attracts a huge mass of tourists.
Best time to visit Chamba:-
March to June is the most preferable time period to visit Chamba as one will witness pleasant weather there.
How to reach Chamba:-
The best way to travel to Chamba is by road. One can take a bus or private cab from the states of Delhi, Haryana, and Punjab.
Mandi is a town in Himachal Pradesh, also known as Sohar. The town was formally known as Mandav Nagar. This place experiences a pleasant summer and cold winters every year. The most famous and widely known for the international mandi Shivaratri fair.
Key places to visit in Mandi:-
- Prashar lake trek:- Prashar lake is a blissful and peaceful place around 40 km from mandi. Enclosed with the lush green land, beautiful hills and transparent blue water of the lake.
- Bhut Nath temple:- Bhut Nath temple is the oldest temple, it is as old as the town itself. This temple is situated in the midst of the town. The temple is devoted to lord shiva.
Best time to reach Mandi:-
From March to June is the best time period to visit mandi as it experiences hot summers enough warm for wearing cotton clothes.
How to reach Mandi:-
The best way to reach mandi is by roads.
Kullu is a town in Himachal Pradesh, situated on the banks of rivers in the Kullu valley. This Kullu valley is a broad open valley made by the river between Largi and Mandi. This town is popularly known for its temple, hills, and forests covered with deodar and pine trees.
Key places to visit in Kullu:-
- Bijli Mahadev Temple:- Bijli Mahadev temple is one of the beautiful temples in Kullu famous for lightning strikes. These temple surroundings give great views and sceneries of Kullu.
- Raghunath Temple:- Raghunath temple is the oldest temple in Kullu. This temple has the most beautiful surroundings at the time of Dussehra or some festival. This temple has much spiritual and religious value amongst the locals.
Best time to visit Kullu:-
Summers is the best time to visit Kullu . from march to June one can prefer to spend holidays here.
How to reach Kullu:-
Buses and taxis are the best way to reach Kullu.